Sunday, September 20, 2009

JP from Michigan needs a free wheelchair and ramp

JP from Michigan sent the following message to ActuallyFree.info:

"Hi. I'm in need and don't know how to ask for help. I'm disabled and in need of a manual, adult, wide wheelchair. I was hit by a drunk driver many years ago and my wheelchair is broken beyond repair. I've tried to get one through United Way and they claim that they can only give me one for a month. I need it longer since I'm permanently injured and can't walk at all. I recently had back surgery which intensifies my immobility. I have a power chair but it's too big to use inside my house, so I only use it when I go out. Now I'm just scooting around on a computer chair. I also don't have a proper wheel chair ramp. The one I have is a flimsy metal ramp with no railing. I have fallen off of it before, got severely bruised, broke my ribs and had to get stitches. So I also need a wooden ramp. Please help me."
(Not an exact quote, paraphrased for clarity)

JP, wow, that is quite the medical history.

First, I should mention, as I always do and as it is stated on the site: ActuallyFree.info provides information only. I don't have the resources to provide actual items, only information on how to get actual items.

I'll provide the information that I can, but the person you should be in contact with the most is your doctor. He or she can check with your insurance provider for getting a chair.

If you are permenantly disabled, then you are probably eligible for medicare if you don't already have insurance. And medicare pays for wheelchairs. However if the electric scooter was paid for by your medical insurance then you would probably have to wait a period of time before they would pay for another one. And since you can only get around your house on a computer chair for the time being, then lets see what other options are more immediately available:

WheelchairFoundation.org - "The Wheelchair Foundation is a nonprofit organization leading an international effort to create awareness of the needs and abilities of people with physical disabilities, to promote the joy of giving, create global friendship, and to deliver a wheelchair to every child, teen and adult in the world who needs one, but cannot afford one."

LifeNets.org/wheelchair - "The goal of LifeNet's Wheelchair Project is to put wheelchairs that are not currently being used into the hands of someone who can benefit from them."

JoniAndFriends.org - "For nearly a quarter of a century, Joni and Friends has been dedicated to extending the love and message of Christ to people who are affected by disability, whether it is the disabled person, a family member, or friend. Our objective is to meet the physical, emotional, and spiritual needs of this group of people in practical ways."

There is also a list of 24 wheelchair organizations here.

There are also links for about 20 wheelchair organizations here.

Many of the above organizations work on an international scale, but they work in the US too, so they're applicaple for you, JP. For International readers I'll also mention this one:

FreeWheelchairMission.org - Their wheelchair looks ingenious. They don't provide wheelchairs in the U.S. because "in addition to private health insurance coverage, Medicare and Medicaid are available in the U.S. to help provide wheelchairs". They will however provide a list of organizations that distribute wheelchairs in the U.S. if you contact their main office.

If by some strange chance you have actually tried all of these organizations, and others, and your doctor can't help you get a chair through your insurance, then you can always check classified ads websites, like Craigslist.org. You just have to be patient enough and diligent enough to find it there. Read this page for more information.

You also mentioned that you need a new ramp. In a previous post I mentioned that I found a program that provides grants and loans to those who are disabled and need to make their homes more accessible. Here is the link. If you're not eligible for this specific loan then contact your local HUD office (Housing and Urban Development) to see what else is available.

Since you're in Michigan, I also found this resource:

The Ray West Memorial Ramp Project is available to those in Wayne, Oakland and Macomb counties. If you don't live in one of these counties then they should be able to point you to a provider where you live.

Since this is the second time I've referred you to someone else just to get more information, I'll also mention that getting something for free always takes diligence and patience. I know bureaucracies aren't fun to deal with, but that's the trade off for not having to pay anywhere from $100-$1500 for a wheelchair.

Hopfully this information will help you to make your home more comfortable and accessible. Take care, and no more falling off that ramp!

Sincerely,

Admin
ActuallyFree.info

No comments: